Saturday, February 12, 2011

My first hand spun skeins!

Today was an exciting day! By a sheer moment of universal luck I found a ride in to the yarn shop by the same woman who I have been wanting to teach me to spin. I learned the basics from Amy our newest hooker in the Needle Nutz group; but ended up learning tons this afternoon.
For a little background on myself. I've been crocheting for 4 years and knitting for 3. Over this last Christmas I was given an Ashford student drop spindle from my lovely sister-in-law. Did I mention she owns the River Side Yarn Gallery? Total family bonus but I digress...
My day started out well enough with my daily tarot card reading and me planning my next few knitting projects. Then the parents went to get the taxes done, I ended up in Wyandotte and spent the rest of the afternoon attached to my drop spindle. I learned from my lovely teacher how to pre-draft the fibers before spinning them in to yarn. When my hands could not spin any longer I took a break and picked out new Malabrigo yarn Anyone jealous yet?
When I came home the real fun began. I wound all my hand spun yarn in to 2 little smushy adorable skeins and set them to soak in a bath of warm water and wool wash that smells of lavender. Next I squeezed out the water by rolling them in an old towel and literally stomping on them! Yep I stomped on yarn. Nobody kill me; I have good reason for doing what I did. Next came the best part. In order to set the twist in my hand spun yarn I had to wack it on the tub. I swear its not a crazy cult initiation or anything but in order to help the twist to stay in the yarn that I spun you need to wack it against a hard surface.
Now I'm waiting for my lovely skeins to dry. I keep finding things to occupy me so I don't keep going upstairs to pet my very own yarn. Helping make dinner and blogging were my first two options for distraction. I'm thinking the third will have to involve chocolate and a glass of wine. When its all dry and pretty I promise to find a way to post pictures!
Happy crafting...

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to see the loveliness of it! Did you have fun whacking it? I can't wait to whack mine when it's time hehe. Then again, I'm taking my time as it'll be a bit before I spin more. I don't feel in the mood to process that llama fiber just yet. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait to see your very own Laura Brand Yarn! I think you might have latent maniacal tendencies with all that whacking shit...nice hiding it behind yarn, Tee Hee!

    ReplyDelete